Selling handmade items

Deals, big Deals. Show me the colour of your money.
We need men whose bank accounts speaks much more than their mouth. Here is for people in business and others who need advice as to how to get in to business and succeeding.

Selling handmade items

New postby Lartiste » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:08 pm

I am an artist, as well as an avid crafter. I have been thinking of creating an online shop to sell my creations but am not sure what's the best way to go about doing it. I thought about an Etsy shop and I may use that, but I think I should have my own domain, as well. Is there any software that can help with setting up an online shop that isn't crazy expensive?
Lartiste

Re: Selling handmade items

New postby Acono » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:43 pm

I have a domain that I only use for my personal blog. Since my host uses cPanel you could find a similar one that runs the same thing, most of the things you can install are one click. I am not sure how detailed you want to be with the cart system but there are many to choose from.
Acono

New postby Pelida » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 pm

Etsy is a good choice to start out, but having your own site as well can be helpful. Domain names are around $10 annually, I think, and hosting is as cheap as about that same dollar amount per month, but I don't know how much space you'd get at that price point.
Pelida

New postby Lartiste » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:42 pm

I'm not asking about hosting and domain registration. Those are easy. What I'm looking for is the best catalog and cart software that won't be an arm and a leg to purchase. It would be helpful to have fairly easy set-up or really good documentation, too.
Lartiste

New postby Pelida » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:26 pm

[quote="Lartiste"]I'm not asking about hosting and domain registration. Those are easy. What I'm looking for is the best catalog and cart software that won't be an arm and a leg to purchase. It would be helpful to have fairly easy set-up or really good documentation, too.[/quote]

Oh, I'm sorry; I misunderstood. I have heard good things about Shopify and ShopSite, but I am not sure of the prices. Prestashop is free but I don't know the quality.
Pelida

New postby bennett » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Something you need to consider is how you are going to get the goods you make to the paying customer. A lot of people don't judge shipping costs correctly when starting out. I would personally start there, making sure you have a way to get the product out quickly and a way to make sure you don't run into "well so and so never delivered what I purchased".
bennett

Return to Business Activities